While many students will know famous hip hop and rap artists, and their music, it is likely that many will not be as well versed in the continually expanding global reach of the hip hop sub-culture, as well as the perspective of viewing it as a cultural art form. Some may not be aware of how hip hop even began. You will have the opportunity to question what impact hip hop has had on the youth of today and to ponder what it is that has made hip hop go global.
1. What was hip hop music about as it emerged in the early 1970's?
2. Where did the sound come from?
3. How have the lyrics changed over the years?
4. Why does hip hop music attract people of all races?
5. Do you think the products mentioned in the article, "Hip Hop Planet" would sell as well if they were advertised without using hip hop?
6. Do people around the world relate to hip hop music? If so, how?